Thursday, November 29, 2007

Physical Element...of Beauty: An Interview with Jo Carter


I was delighted to have the opportunity to interview Jo Carter, the owner of what I feel to be one of the most fashion-forward clothing stores in Portland,
PHYSICAL ELEMENT.

Jo and I share similar philosophies on what we choose to carry, the main difference being the translation to clothing and cosmetics. Like Fez Studio, Physical Element prefers to offer their selective customers exclusive unique products including offbeat, distinctive labels from Europe, Japan, as well as the United States ad Portland.

You can almost tell who is the Physical Element customer as opposed to the the mass-marketed consumer mall types. Her customers are true originals who are seen as trend setters. That's what we're about!


So ladies, if you want to lead, not follow, you know where to go!

1. For those who may not be familiar with your wonderful store, how would you describe "Physical Element"?
Physical Element was founded in the belief that clothing is an extension of a woman's personality and creativity.I search the globe for lines that blend art and fashion. At Physical Element, we specialize in the careful and thoughtful editing of European and domestic collections with a point of view. I am very happy to report that we are now the exclusive Portland retailer of Paris label, cop.copine.

2. What characteristics make clothing beautiful to you?
Beautiful fabrics and artful experimentation with shape and design. I love unexpected, but subtle details, as well as skillfully cut patterning that fits the body beautifully.

3. How has style preferences changed over the years since you opened in 2003?
Well, Physical Element has changed dramatically over the past 4 ½ years. When we opened in 2003, we were Portland's first women's fitness & yoga apparel store. Over the years, the store evolved to include fashion-forward European apparel. I was thrilled by the enthusiastic reaction by our customers and Pearl residents and slowly, the fashion portion of the store grew more and more. We had always carries elegant, directional activewear, but beginning in 2008, the store will focus all our attention on offering offbeat, distinctive labels from Europe, Japan, as well as the United States and Portland. My customers have been very enthusiastic and supportive of the change.

4. What is your favorite piece of clothing, right now?
Oh, that is a hard question! I suppose one of my favorite items right now would be the Emi skirt by Cop.Copine Paris. It’s a saucy little skirt that hits at your natural waist, is slim cut and finishes just below the knee. The Emi Skirt’s pinstriped outer layer rises ever-so-slightly in the back. The sheer ruffled underlayer is allowed to show off the back curve of your calf – so sexy! This skirt is so unabashedly feminine, even my UPS guy took note when I wore it - and he is a fellow of few words!

5. What role do you think makeup plays in fashion?
To me, fashion and makeup go hand in hand. Both are mediums with which we express ourselves and enhance our own beauty. I have difficulty imagining one without the other.

6. At FEZ Studio, we do make custom colors here, and many designers I have worked with envision colors and style of makeup to best represent their clothes. What type of look do you see when you look at your unique fall/winter lines?
I see a strong emphasis on the eye – either very smoky or with an unexpected strong color. The European palettes this year were very beautiful and neutral so bringing color into the makeup palette creates a wonderful drama! And of course, a beautiful foundation is key to any look.

7. What is your personal beauty routine?
I use mineral powder foundation which I love. Mineral makeup has improved the quality of my skin and reduces unpleasant breakouts. Since my lips are allergic to almost all lipsticks, I’ve compensated with a strong eye. I emphasize my eyebrows by defining them a little with dark eyeshadow. I like a grey, smoky eye so I use a combination of silvery greys and dark grey/blacks. I put a hint of color on my cheeks with a cream blush (peach). The only color my lips tolerate has been a lip gloss that uses only all natural products. I haven’t been able to pinpoint the source of my negative reactions. I so miss lipstick!

(Jo was quite happy to find out FEZ Studio has a pure mineral line that includes lipsticks. Many who have tried them have switched over from other mass-marketed mineral lines).

8. What is your definition of beauty?
Beauty is when a woman is completely comfortable and confident in her own skin. She is a woman who is unafraid of expressing her personal style and loves to experiment. It is relishing in our physical idiosyncrasies and celebrating them rather than trying to force ourselves into a mass-marketed image of beauty.

9. What do you feel are some advantages customers have by shopping independent and local as opposed to larger corporate "chain" stores?
Well, frankly we just care more than a large chain store does. The owners have a passion for what they do and customers benefit from their caring and knowledge. Sure, independent businesses are also trying to make a living, but we are in it for so many other reasons. We do what we do because we love it, and enjoy knowing all our customers. It’s the relationships we build that make it all worthwhile.

10. What is one piece of advice you would like to give our readers about beauty and fashion?
Have fun! Beauty and fashion should be an area where you can express your creativity and your vision.

Thank you very much for your time.

Remember, there's no time like the present to show your best self. Where to start?
Look no further.


Physical element
1124 NW Lovejoy Street, Portland OR 97209
Phone: 503.224.5425

FEZ Studio
1125 NW 9th Ave, Suite 108, Portland, OR 97209
Phone: 503.227.2226

The photo of Jo (above) was taken at her store, Physical Element, by Kenneth Aaron.



No comments: